Although recipes for sauces made with wine are included in almost any cookbook, if you follow these simple guidelines, you can create your own delicious sauce.
Be sure to read the pages on deglazing and reducing, and you'll be in great shape to make a superb sauce!
To make a reduction sauce:
1. Add shallots or garlic to the pan when the item is nearly done cooking.
2. Continue sauteeing the ingredients until slightly caramelized.
3. Start by sauteeing the item you're cooking (chicken breast, for example).
4. Deglaze the pan with wine; 4 oz for a single serving works well.
5. Reduce this by 50%.
6. Add your stock to the mixture; again, 4 oz of stock per serving should be adequate.
7. Continue reducing this until the desired consistency is reached.
8. Add herbs and spices as desired.