spicy grilled shrimp tostada
Shown served with yellow & red tomato salsa
By: Thomas M. Ciesla
Preparation & Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
- 1 1/2 pounds of 10-15 count shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup of Viognier wine
- 1 teaspoon of worchestechire sauce
- 8 lemon slices
- 1/2 cup extra virgin Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper spice
- 1/2 tablespoon paparika
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 4 tostada shells or tortillas
- 2 yellow tomatoes, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of EV olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- handfull of spanish olives, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
In a large bowl combine shrimp with 1/2 cup of Viognier wine, worchestechire sauce, olive oil, lemon pepper spice, paparika, chili powder, garlic powder, and mix together. Cover and place in refrigerator for 45 minutes, stirring occassionally. Take this time to prepare salsa and start grill (using oak or mesquite wood).
Remove from refrigerator and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir well and place shrimp on skewers, with at least 2 -3 lemon slices per skewer. You can also mix in pieces of onion and bell pepper if desired. Place skewers over flame and grill until pink (about 5 minutes depending on heat). Return shrimp to kitchen, remove from skewers and place into oven-ready warming dish. If desired, melt half stick of unsalted butter and pour over shrimp prior to placing in overn set to 'warm'.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stir thoroughly and place in refrigerator until ready for serving.
Heat tortillas in a dry pan, or heat tostadas in the oven on low heat. Place layer of shredded lettuce on tortilla or tostada and cover with shrimp, leaving a small opening in the center to spoon salsa into. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro if desired and serve with quacamole and red sauce condiments.